Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Poem

This poem is probably a bit ambitious for it to work perfectly, but I'd love to see what people think of it, please give me any feedback! It doesn't have a title at this stage.


Last night I dreamed of Lebanon.
Blonde beach at Beirut,
Bright lights at Gaza
Gasping in the distance
Dying next to an anarchist’s canvas
Over Bashir’s blood.
Like I could ever live there,
Godless pacifist, posing as a friend,
Bombastic, gone
When chaos comes calling.
Indeed, I am the tyrant
They feed as they fight for consciousness-
I might as well wish that I die
In my sleep.

Last night I dreamed of Copenhagen.
City-slicker, with a flag in my hand
Hoping for a failure inside
Those locked blocked doors
So I can justify blowing them down.
Snow-cold days, a sceptic’s snigger
We chant slogans
To keep us warm, because
We light no fires
- we wouldn’t want the snow to melt.

Last night I dreamed of Manhattan.
Complete skyline,
Days before I knew how far
The skyscrapers had to fall,
And years before
I learnt how far the empire had to go.
New York’s not panicking,
But still hurrying from one block
To the next, not looking
Up
From its two feet.

Last night I dreamed of Big Sur,
Dead sixties dreaming,
Trying to stop good ‘ol life
Marching on and out
And arm in arm
With no-one.
Especially not a stranger
Like freedom.

Last night I dreamed of a woman.
River-flow hair forever,
Nightlight eyes and who-knows-what body
Hidden from the senses
So that I follow her, nothing else,
But her lips shining in
All the world’s colours
Slipping into unconsciousness
Like the last kiss
Of a long, long night.

No comments:

Post a Comment